Sunday, August 1, 2021

All Our Past Times

 

It doesn't matter how good something is or how immoveable it seems against the force of entropy, one day it will be gone and so it was with The White Horse.

It's been 5 years now since The White Horse closed its doors for the last time but it still lingers strongly in the memories of everyone that worked, drank or danced there. I cannot recall a pub that's closure affected so many people, so profoundly. 

But why? What was the quality that the pub that makes it still so missed. It's something I've been reflecting on recently and at least from my perspective, I have some answers...

It was a strip pub...

Well,that might seem an obvious answer, but as time passed, the White Horse became a strip pub like no other. It was basically a boozer, the only concession to the dancers was the stage. Essentially, it remained true to its roots and there was something very comforting about that. At times the place seemed to exist outside any time frame. You could easily imagine Regan and Carter from The Sweeney popping in from the 1970s for a beer or six. Look at the interior photos, taken only about 15 years ago but they look as they could have been taken anytime in the last 50. Despite how much you changed, the White Horse never seemed to.

It was a regional local...

There is something about 'your' local, the place where everyone knows you and you know everyone. The White House was that kind of pub, but its regulars were not only those that lived within walking distance, but included people that lived throughout London, the home counties and sometimes further. London can be a very alienating place and that includes the pubs, especially those that have been antiqued with obsessively polished brass and pictures screwed to the walls and worse still, those fake book shelves.The White Horse was real, it had been there for ages and had no need for such moody, fake decoration schemes.

The bar staff were great...

There is something about walking into a pub and finding your pint waiting for you when you sit at the bar. That was a regular experience for me and many other people. Once you became known, you became part of a slightly odd 'family'and was always guaranteed a genuine welcome.

...and so were the dancers.

Mostly anyway. Actually,that's not fair, they were all good people. Mostly. The dancers never hassled customers for dances or drinks as is the norm today. In its final years, private dances were on offer and as a customer you were asked if wanted one. But the dancers never had a strop if you turned them down or turned and walked away halfway through your sentence. Most particularly, if you said no, they never asked you to explain why, because they were bright enough to understand that if such an explanation was forthcoming, they might hear something they didn't want to. They all seemed to be genuinely interesting people from a hugely diverse range of backgrounds and were great to deal with.

I made friendships with White Horse dancers that endure to this day...

It helped me survive the worst of times...

Using alcohol to get through lifes stresses is never recommended, but there was a period of my life about 15 years ago when I was there almost every weekday night. I was in a horrible situation at work and I found I couldn't face what was going on without recourse to evening alcohol and The White Horse. To be honest, coffee would have been fine, it was the place and the time I spent there that helped me through. 

My most enduring memory...

There are so many to choose from, but one in particular seems to stand out, but I don't know why. It was an afternoon. I was sitting at my usual end of the bar spot in an almost empty pub. Slowly the weather changed from a mild day with a white cloudy sky to one that was threatening, the grey cloud getting lower and darker and then the sky opened with rain that rivaled the monsoon with lightning and instant thunder. I was glad to be inside and felt very safe, as if nothing, no force of nature or man could get to me. I don't think I'll feel that way about a pub ever again. 

So The White Horse was unique and brilliant and as they say, it is better to be glad that we were there as opposed to sad that we can't be there anymore. I really can't say anymore about it, however there are a few things I would like to say about the industry in general...

Now that clubs are opening again, we will see what we see about the future of the industry, but I have little doubt it will be a challenging time. During lockdown, a number of venues have closed and many more will be watching the situation very carefully. Clever club owners maximised opportunities to stay open by offering non nude entertainment and this worked very well. There was a sense of relief among regular customers that our favourite venues had survived and once again we could spend an afternoon whiling away the time in familiar surroundings. 

Familiarity is of course the key.

Venues need regular customers more than they need dancers. That doesn't sound very nice, but its true. A club can have the greatest roster of girls in the world, but if no one visits the venue and spends money, there isn't a business, only a liability. So clubs need to look at a strategy that keeps their regulars happy and encourages new business. The way forward should be obvious...

As I said at the beginning of this article, everything changes, everything goes and I have to say that I don't have the appetite to write anymore articles for this blog. When Tony N was alive, there was always something to write, always an article being planned but since his passing, there doesn't seem to be any urgent need to say anything, apart from what I just said. Please note, the email address for the blog will no longer be monitored. Those that know how to contact me directly will still be able to do so.

I have had some memorable times in clubs and I still hope to in the future, but as far as this blog is concerned, I am content to leave things here.

Goodbye and good luck...

Chasmal

No comments:

Post a Comment